Know UsOur Company History
The Company’s early years of operation were mainly on Life Assurance Business and the General Insurance Branch was merely set up to cater for the General Insurance Business of Life Policy Holders. This trend changed in 1953 when a full General Insurance Branch status was given to East Africa.
The expansion of business in East Africa brought about the opening of a Branch Office in Kampala and Dar-es-salaam in 1958 and 1959 respectively and the eventual construction of Prudential Assurance Building on Wabera Street, Nairobi which was opened on 7th October 1959.
Following tax changes on Retirement Annuity Contracts, which reduced savings on Tax to a large section of the Business Community in the early seventies (70’s), Long Term Life Assurance business investment naturally became affected and quite a number of Composite Insurance Companies ceased to underwrite Life Assurance Business. Prudential ceased to write Life Business on 1st April 1974 with the General Insurance Branch remaining to grow